UK Education System
Available Courses
Cost of Living
Finding Colleges / Uni
Applying to Colleges
VISA Information
Scholarship for you
Before you fly
After arrival in the UK
Why UK for education?
Useful Links
Successful Stories
Job opportunities
  Inside WNSO UK
About WNSO
Join WNSO Today
Executive Committee
About UK
Contact us
WNSO Email

WNSO Departments
WNSO Near You
WNSO Radio
Chautari (Forum)
Nepali Songs
Greeting cards
WNSO newsletter

Google Groups
Subscribe to WNSO Newsletter
Visit this group

Application process

How to apply for colleges and universities in the UK

There are two processes. If you want to study in British universities, then you should apply through UCAS (University & Colleges Admissions Service). Or you can contact the universities directly. Remember, most British universities are very expensive for Nepali students. If you want to gain a certificate from a British institution without spending so much money, then you should consider private colleges, whose fees are more reasonable.

To enrol in private institutions you need to contact them via friends studying there or directly at the College. Alternatively you can visit our Directory or Students Chautari.

How to Apply for a Full-Time Course Via UCAS

If you would like to be considered for a course, complete the UCAS application form as fully as possible, specifying the course(s) you wish to study, and return it to the university you are applying to either by fax or by post, together with copies of your educational qualifications and any additional information.

Applications for certain courses will also require you to provide additional information. If you do not send this information your application may be rejected or you may be considered for a course at a lower level than that for which you have applied.

Please ensure that you fill in the application form carefully, including supplying a reference, to avoid unnecessary delays in processing.

 Students accepted after the end of July will be required to complete UCAS Late Registration Form on arrival at their institution.

If you are applying for GCSE or GCE 'A' Level courses, you must also submit an essay of approximately 350 words explaining why you wish to study at a particular institution, which subjects you wish to study and your career aspirations. The essay must be hand-written in English and be your own unaided work. You must also supply a reference from a teacher or lecturer who can support your application and verify that the essay is your own unaided work.

How to get application materials

Once you decide on your course you will need to fill in a UCAS application form. There are several ways you can get a UCAS application form. If you are at school or college, ask for one there, as application forms are sent to schools and colleges abroad that have a lot of students coming to the UK. You can also get a form from your local British Council office, order application materials online at www.ucas.ac.uk or write for an application form to:

UCAS, Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 3LA, United Kingdom.

UCAS also offers an electronic application system (EAS) for some schools, colleges, British Council offices and other careers organisations.

How to apply

With your application form you will receive a leaflet called 'How to Apply', which is also available online.This will help you to complete your application form. You will also need to look at the information in the 'UCAS Directory', which is also available free on CD-ROM and as a printed publication, priced 6 (Tel: 01242 223707).

Your school, college or local British Council office can help you with your application form. You can also contact UCAS or the admissions tutors for the courses you have chosen at anytime for help. UKCOSA have published a useful set of guidance notes for students that may help you with your application.

Information about the reference on your application form

Who should write the reference?

The reference on your application form should be completed by someone who knows you well enough to write about you but is not a member of your family, a relative or a friend.

It needs to be a full written reference and to include more than just the name and address of your referee. If you are at school or college, or you have left recently, you should ask your head teacher, principal, teacher or tutor. If you are a mature student ask a responsible person who knows you to be your referee. This person could be an employer, careers officer, teacher, or a senior colleague in employment or voluntary work. If you are engaged in military service you may wish to ask your unit commander.

How to write the reference?

Please pass this information on to your referee. The reference needs to be written in English. If the first language of the applicant is not English, the referee should comment on the applicant's ability to write and speak in English and indicate whether any studies were taught in English. The reference should also explain any breaks in education and how the student compares with others in his or her class.

The referee should check the applicant has completed the form correctly and has attached the completed and stamped acknowledgement card, international reply coupons (if appropriate) and the correct fee.

A black ballpoint pen should be used for the reference, or it should be typed. The type size must be 12 point or larger. The two halves of the referee form should not be separated. If the referee is using a word processor, he or she can order a stick-on version of the reference page from us to use in the printer (email: distribution@ucas.ac.uk). The writing should be as clear as possible as the application form will be reduced in size during processing.

At the top of the page, in the spaces provided, the referee should provide his or her name, how the referee knows the applicant (for example, employee) and the name and address of his or her school, college, company or organization.

The reference should follow the applicant's name. Information that the applicant has given should not be repeated unless the referee wants to comment on it. The reference itself should touch on the following:

- academic achievement and potential, including predicted results or performance

- suitability for the courses/subjects applied for

- any factors that could influence, or could have influenced performance

- personal qualities, such as motivation, powers of analysis, communication skills, independence of thought.

- career plans

- any health or personal circumstances that affect the application

- other interests or activities

The referee should take care to check the form before signing and dating it. More detailed information is included in How to Apply.

When to apply

As a student applying from a non-EU country, your application will be processed by UCAS and sent to the universities and colleges you have chosen at any time between 1 September 2003 and 30 June 2004 for entry in the year 2004. Remember the closing date for applications to Oxford and Cambridge, and for applications to medicine, dentistry and veterinary science/medicine is 15 October 2003.

Most applicants apply well before 30 June of the year they wish to start in and you should too, if you want to increase your chances of getting a place on your chosen course. There is no guarantee that applications for 2004 for popular courses at some universities and colleges will be considered if received after 15 December of 2003. You should check with individual universities and colleges if you are not sure.

If you think that you may be assessed as a 'home' student (UK or EU) for fee purposes, you should apply by 15 December 2003, exactly the same as if you were applying from an EU country.

If you apply early, this will give you enough time to make immigration, travel and accommodation arrangements. These arrangements may take a lot of time, particularly during the summer when immigration departments are extremely busy. So give yourself the best chance and apply as early as possible.

If you wish to apply to one institution only, and you already have the necessary qualifications, you may apply at any time in the applications cycle. However, before completing an application form you should contact UCAS or your chosen university or college for advice.

Any applications received after 30 June will go through the Clearing process (see below).

Courses in art and design

There are two routes through which you can apply for courses in art and design, Route A (simultaneous) and Route B (sequential). Each has a different timetable.

Route A (simultaneous) – the closing date for Route A applications is 15 December 2003 for entry in the year 2004.

Route B (sequential) – you can apply for Route B courses between 1 January and 24 March 2004 for entry in September or October 2004. We recommend that you apply by 9 March 2004 to avoid the last-minute rush. Any applications received after 12 June will go through the Clearing process (see below).

Interviews and portfolio inspection – selectors normally interview you and look at your portfolio of work before they decide whether to offer you a place. To find out what arrangements can be made for sending your portfolio and whether or not you will be interviewed, contact the universities and colleges. You should do this before you fill in your application form.


UCAS runs a special service called Clearing in August and September. This allows students to find a suitable place on courses which are not yet full. Students may ask for Clearing details if required.

If UCAS receives your application after 30 June (or 12 June for art and design Route B applications), it will go through the Clearing process.

What happens after you have applied?

UCAS takes copies of your completed application form and send one to each of the universities and colleges that you list. They then send you an acknowledgement letter and the booklet, 'Advice for Applicants'. This gives you detailed information on how they process your application and tells you what you need to do at each stage.

The universities and colleges decide whether or not to offer you a place and then send their decisions to UCAS, who pass on the information, asking you to accept or decline the offers you have received. They will also relay your answers back to the universities and colleges.

When a university or college knows that you have accepted a place, it will contact you and send you all the information you need about coming to the UK and arrangements for your arrival and registration.

Contact us:
Email: uk@wnso.org
Forum: http://chautari.wnso.org

Members Login:



Remember me?
Register | Lost Password

WNSO Gallery

Check your email

Click here to send ecards to your love one Click here to go to WNSO music site
Click here to listen WNSO radio